Frequently Asked

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • How Do I Get Fingerprinted for a Job?

    The Dallas County Sheriff’s Office offers public employment fingerprinting at a cost of $10.00.  Due to high court activity on Thursday and Friday of each week, employment fingerprinting is only offered Monday-Wednesday 8:00 A.M to 4:00 P.M.  

  • How do I Get Information on Road Conditions During Bad Weather?

    Please do not call the Sheriff's Office as we do not have road condition reports. You may call 511 for weather, road and travel information.

  • How Can I Contact the Deputy Who Handled my Complaint?

    To contact a Dallas County Deputy, you can call our office at 515-993-4567. You will be able to leave a message with the dispatcher or be transferred to the officer's voicemail.

  • How Can I Get a Permit to Acquire or Permit to Carry Concealed?
    Weapon Permit Information

  • Someone has Abandoned a Junk Car in my Parking Lot or on my Property. Can the Sheriff's Office Tow it Away for me?

  • The Sheriff's Office can only have vehicles towed that are on public property. Call a wrecker service in your area.

  • Can Deputies Open my Car if I Lock my Keys Inside?

    Because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the Sheriff's Office does not open locked vehicles. A locksmith is your best alternative.
    If a child has locked himself in a vehicle and an emergency exists, the Sheriff's Office and/or Fire Department will respond and open the vehicle in any way possible.

  • I Have Left my Spouse and am Living Elsewhere, but I Need to Get my Clothing and Other Items. Can the Sheriff's Office Help Me?

    The Sheriff's Office will send a Deputy to keep the peace and prevent violence while you retrieve your belongings if you are in possession of a court order stating that Sheriff’s Deputies are to accompany you.

  • Can I Get a Copy of my Driving Record?

    Our office is not authorized to release your driving record. Contact the Iowa Department of Motor Vehicle Division.
  • How Can I Check Someone's Background?

    Complete criminal history checks are done through the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI). Forms can be obtained on the DCI Website or you may request the form at the Dallas County Sheriff’s administrative office during regular business hours. 

  • How Do I Get a Copy of a Sheriff Report?

    Requests can be requested online.  The records department is open from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. Contact the records section at 515-993-4771 for additional information. 

  • How Do I Pick Up Recovered Stolen Property or Evidence That Can Be Returned to Me?

    To pick up property, you can contact our Evidence Support Staff at 515-993-4771 to make an appointment.