New Residents of Iowa

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The content of this website is accessible using all web browsers.  However, forms download effortlessly using Internet Explorer.

If you are a new resident of Iowa and have not yet obtained your Iowa Driver’s License or Iowa ID, you are required to present your original Social Security card in our office. 

  1. Bring in your out-of-state title.  You will be issued an Iowa title along with registration and plates. The Iowa title will be issued with the same owners as listed on the out-of-state title.  All owners on the face of the current title must complete and sign an application for title.
  2. In order to change ownership on your out-of-state title (add or remove a name), you are required to follow the guidelines set forth by the state in which the title was issued.
  3. If your lien-holder holds the title, or you have misplaced your title, you will need to bring in your current out-of-state registration.  You will be issued a non-transferable registration and plates.  With a non-transferable you will not be able to sell, trade or junk your vehicle in Iowa until you have turned in your out-of-state title and obtained an Iowa title.  The Iowa registration will be issued with the same owners as listed on the out-of-state registration.  All owners on the current registration will be required to complete and sign an application for title.  Ownership cannot be changed when issuing a non-transferable registration.
  4. Leased vehicle move-ins require a Lease Tax Worksheet to be completed, along with a Leased Vehicle Application for Title.  Dallas County Treasurer’s staff cannot help complete the Lease Tax Worksheet.  Contact your original dealer, leasing company or the Iowa Department of Revenue (515) 281-6885 with questions while completing the Lease Tax Worksheet.    

Please call the Dallas County Treasurer’s office (515) 993-5812 to ensure you have all documents, signatures and information necessary to process your title and/or registration prior to visiting. 

This is general information only.  Nothing is guaranteed until we see all completed, original documents in our office.  Transfers cannot be completed by mail.