Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Marriage Instructions

If you want to get married, you’ll need a marriage license. Ring pic

1. Marriages in Iowa are between 2 people who are (1) 18 years of age and older; (2) not already or still legally married to someone else or each other; (3) not closely related by blood or first cousins; and (4) legally competent to enter into a civil contract.

2. Minors. Persons aged 16 and 17 may only marry with special permission from a judge and should request a "Consent to Marriage of a Minor" form when making application for their marriage license (At least one parent or guardian must sign the consent form). Complete the form and present it to a judge within the same judicial district as the county in which you wish your license issued. The Clerk of District Court office can provide additional information. Return the signed form in order to complete the marriage application process.

3. To apply for a marriage license the couple intending to marry and one witness (someone that’s acquainted with the couple and is 18 or older) must come into the office and fill out the application (or complete, have notarized, and mail back to us the completed application with fee). The applicants and witness must have a photo I.D. The fee is $35.00. Once the license has been applied for, there will be a 3 business day wait. The couple will need to come back in after the 3 day wait to obtain the packet. To obtain a 3-day waiver, there is a fee of $5, and it must be signed by a District Judge.

Click link below to get the marriage license application and the marriage address update form. If you have further questions visit our contact page here,  or call 515-993-5804 for additional assistance.

Marriage License Application

To obtain a raised seal certified copy of your marriage certificate you may use the form provided here to write to us or you can come in and see us. A fee of $20.00 is required for each request along with a copy of your drivers license.

We will have your record if you applied for the license in Dallas County.

For records we do not have, you may contact the Iowa Department of Public Health. You can contact them by phone at (515) 281-4944.

If you wish to change your name upon completion of you marriage, please visit the Social Security Administration for more information. The form along with instructions to change your name can be found at