Parks and Recreation Areas

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


old Dawson Depot

The old Milwaukee Railroad Depot in Dawson, which was built in 1889, is one of the few surviving Milwaukee Depots, possessing almost all of its original integrity. 

With funding provided by multiple donations and grants, the depot is a prime example of “adaptive reuse” as it now serves as a trail head and welcoming oasis for bicyclists, walkers and joggers using the Raccoon River Valley Trail.

The old waiting room area has been developed into a restroom and resting area. Interpretive displays featuring the natural, prehistoric, historic, cultural and recreational aspects of the area are displayed in the old baggage room.

The depot is open from 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. daily from May 1st - October 31st.


Dawson Depot Old

Built in 1889, it served the passengers, crew and freight transported on the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific rail line.  In the 1950's rail service was discontinued.  It was then sold to a local businessman who used it as storage for his local lumberyard.
Dawson Depot

After the lumberyard closed the depot sat empty and fell in to

disrepair.  Between 2006 and 2007 the Dallas County Conservation Board received over $100,000 in grants to restore the depot for use as a trail head, historical display area and community meeting place.  




Dawson is located off of Highway 141 and D Avenue.  

Return to full list >>